Another softball season has begun! Last year we both joined DG's company team and had a great time, despite the 4 month long season in the Atlanta heat. We're gearing up for season number two and had our first real game this week.Now, when I think rec-league softball, I generally think of people with drinks in their hands in the outfield, socks up to their knees, and maybe some old sneakers. Not this league... the business park where his company is located just finished building the new ballpark for all of the corporate tenants. There is a permanent fence complete with corporate ads, lush grass, stone & concrete seating area built into the hill behind home plate, an actual electronic scoreboard, you name it. The only thing it doesn't have (yet) is lights. The guy who runs the league even grills out for teams and provides coolers with water for the athletes.
Not only is the facility nice, but the teams are all pretty serious. For DG, playing with this team has been a nice trip down memory lane. For example, our coach sends out recaps of all games over email. It's like sports center: he gives a play by play summary, updates all of our stats (on base average, runs, RBIs, batting average etc). and our team's standings. While they didn't give him #13, they did put him in left - which I think was his position. He's done well, catching pretty much anything hit to the left of center.
Almost all the players on the team are very good - guys and girls. So while it may be memory lane for him, it's a little different for me. I mean, until last week when I got cleats - I was the only one playing in tennis shoes. No, as far as I'm concerned - these are the big leagues! This is where all Dad's coaching will pay off. When I was a girl he coached our team every year. Before every game I go through all those tried and true lessons: "Look alive! Two more steps and you can catch that!" or the ever popular "Two hands!" I may not have been the player that DG was, but when we were young, my sister and I were pretty good. We were always in the tournaments - and one year our team won. Believe it or not, we were the Ponytail League Champions back in the 5th grade.

Funny how coordination in youth doesn't always stick around through adulthood though. While I'm holding my own on this new team, I'm most definitely the "weakest link" defensively. Yes, gone are my glory days of playing first & pitcher. Now I'm the girl they put at catcher - mostly because I have somehow forgotten how to throw a softball. You see at catcher, there is no risk of me making a wild throw in the middle of a play. No, instead all of my wild throws are all over the infield trying to get the ball back to the pitcher. It's really embarrassing when it happens. But I save when I catch the pop-ups, and (yes Dad) I'm practicing the throwing.
All that said it really is fun. Fortunately everyone on our team is positive, especially that poor pitcher! We had a tough first game last week but we pulled through. And wouldn't you know it - our DG did hit another one out of the park. This was the best I could do on an action shot - it was just before he hit. I'll be sure to give you updates throughout the season. Or, if you'd rather catch a game live, come for a visit sometime between now and the end of August. Whew!
No comments:
Post a Comment