I was a little nervous when we arrived and I took my first few practice swings on the driving range. I hadn't picked up my clubs in about 2 years. After about 10 range balls, I finally hit a good shot when this little kid walked up with his dad. He looked to be about 7 or so and Don and I were exchanging smiles. Cute kid, I thought.
Then he hit the ball. It sailed right past my "good" shot and actually landed near the little hill he was aiming for. Not like mine which I say was good not so much because of any kind of accuracy of aim, but more because I cleared the little fence that marked the beginning of the driving range and it actually went more than 50 feet. Darn kid.
Of course, this is who we were paired with. Now not only was I paranoid about making some bad shots, but I was paranoid that this little prodigy was going to take me to school. I asked Preston how long he'd been playing as we were making our introductions at the first tee. "Since I was about 18 months old," was his casual reply.
Thankfully, Preston and his kind of obnoxious dad only played the first 9 with us. I hit a lot from Don's ball on those holes until I was warmed up. On the back 9 I actually did decent. I played most my own shots and hit more than a couple of greens from the fairway. I even got a par on one hole. Don played great too, he had the second best score he's ever gotten.
We ended up having a great time and it was a beautiful day to be outside. What a great weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment