Friday, July 11, 2008

Making dinner... out?

This week my friend Sam and I went with some girlfriends for a girls night. We had a "Dinner" party at one of those places where you go to the store, and assemble your own meals, then take them home frozen to prepare later.

We each registered and got to select a variety of entrees from this month's menu. The night of the event we all brought our own beverages and snacks and had a private "dinner" party. It was pretty neat - the recipes looked good, but I'll wait until we've tried them. They had about 20 stations set up down the center of the room with all the ingredients laid out at each one for one of the dinners. We just moved from station to station, putting all the ingredients into bags & pans according to the recipe at the station. When you've assembled all the ingredients for the meal, you take it to a shrink wrap all the ingredients along with the cooking instructions for later.

It was a fun time and not terribly expensive. I made 12 different "half" meals - so we'll be eating them for quite a while! If you're ever thinking of trying something like this, my advice would be to investigate which particular store you want to go to. Ours pretty much gave you a main course, but you had to pay extra for sides. However, I think there are other "chains" that offer the entire meal - sides and all. If I go again, I think I'll try to look for one of those.

Stay tuned for the food reviews throughout this month... Tonight's entree: Tuna Steaks with Tomato Sesame Coulis.

No comments: