I know this is seriously late, but the month just got away from me. Last month I visited the local elementary school for my monthly character education lesson for the 3rd grade. January's trait was perseverance. I decided that we'd make some new year's resolutions together. What better way to practice perseverance?
The kids made their goals and then wrote down how they'd track their progress on a calendar I made them. They are supposed to go home, put the calendar up at home, and write down what they've done each month to get them closer to their goals. The inspiration for this little activity came from a co-worker of mine, Kristen. (She's the one standing beside me on the Australia Day picture). Kristen is one of the most inspiring people met in a long time. She's a very active volunteer in a variety of community organizations, she's very outgoing, and is of those people who I like to call "a doer". Example, she's recently hired her own personal trainer.
Last year she told me that she had a habit of telling herself she worked out 3-4 days a week. But then she decided to do something novel - she actually marked a check mark on the calendar when she did. That's right folks - she decided to measure her progress. And do you know what she found? She found she was really only working out 1-2 times a week. I guess that's what inspired her to get a trainer this year.
Kristen's comment is what made me decide to make resolution calendars with the kids this past January. Now, this exercise is kind of hypocritical of me if I don't do it as well. So in the spirit of the new year, I thought I'd let you in on one of my goals: This year I too have decided to set a goal of working out 4 times a week. Last year when I started tracking I did a pretty good job at 3 times a week, so I'm trying to improve it.
Don and I have made a budget - which doesn't include a trainer. But recently I've discovered the miracle of On Demand. Did you realize that there are a variety of work out programs on demand for free? You name it, they have it: Pilates, Kick Boxing, Cardioke, Dance, Yoga, the list goes on. So now when Don comes home he finds my yoga mat sprawled across the living room floor as I struggle to do the sun salutation, warrior, or downward dog... I'm sure he thinks I'm crazy, but I'm happy to report that so far, I'm on track for 4 days a week!
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good luck Jen! YOu have to get the Wii Fit... not only does it give you a "check" every day, but it harasses you if you haven't worked out in a while.
You go girl! You have inspired me. I have a planner and I am going to start too. I have no excuses now that I have my new jog stroller!
cycling?
Post a Comment