Thursday, April 15, 2010

Going Organic...

Some of you know that for a variety of reasons, we have become very green. It started a few years ago with our garden. Over the past few years, we've grown all kinds of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and a variety of herbs.

Next, we turned our attention to a variety of products in our house that have some pretty scary labels if you take the time to read them. We've done a lot of spring cleaning, and have rid ourselves of all kinds of products: paint, fertilizer, many of our non-green cleaning supplies, etc. Our newest thing is organic personal care items. I felt like I won the lottery when I saw that Dr. Bronner's liquid soap was on sale at Whole Foods the other day, and I bought 2 bottles! If any of you have visited the beach house of our good friends the Helton's, then you've probably used Dr. Bronner's in their outdoor shower.

Now for our next project. Recently some friends in my book club were raving about locally grown produce they've been enjoying lately after joining a CSA. For those who don't know what a CSA is, here's what I've determined after a little Internet research:

Local farmers for CSAs by banding together to create a members only market for their products. Typically they deliver weekly food baskets (shares) to a variety of drop off points in urban areas, where members pick them up. Deliveries are usually mid week, which helps the farmers even out demand between weekends at the farmer's markets.

Depending on the CSA, a typical delivery will have number of fresh seasonal fruits, berries, nuts, veggies, etc. Some CSAs are able to offer breads, dairy, and meats as well. Shares can come in all sizes, (family size or smaller - "dinner for 2"). Most will suspend delivery for a time if you're traveling, and people typically sign up for a block of weeks, or an entire season.

My friends love it because the food is so fresh, and it really forces them to eat healthier. Most of the ones I've researched in our area are certified organic too, which adds to the appeal. It does require some creativity in finding recipes for the veggies each week though. This is the major drawback, finding the time for creative cooking. Still, the more I read, the more I think we need to sign up.

If you'd like to find a CSA in your area, the most helpful site I've found so far is LocalHarvest.com. You can search for a CSA near you by going to the CSA tab and entering your zip code. Happy Shopping.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Bronner's was a staple when I was in Boy Scouts. It's neat that you can brush your teeth, shampoo your hair, and wash your hands with the same stuff!