Saturday, July 20, 2013

Best Friends...

I thought I needed to post about how the girls are doing. Before Emery arrived, I was very worried that Audrey would adjust well to sharing the spotlight. And while we have not been without or "moments", on the whole Audrey does love her sister. They are quickly becoming best friends - at least I hope.

Emery is starting to smile more and make cooing noises, and so that is very satisfying to Audrey, who loves to stick her face right in Emery's and rub noses, giving her Eskimo kisses. Audrey loves to put her face near Emery's hand, and then when Emery inadvertently touches her, she gets very excited.  Of course she's only a month or so old, so Emery hasn't really seemed to notice Audrey much - until now.

Tonight, Audrey helped me give Emery a bath, dumping water over her belly for me while I washed Emery. She had a ball. Then when we took her out Audrey immediately went to drag her foot stool from her bedside down the hall to Emery's room. She set it up right next to Emery's changing table and stood on it next to me while I got Emery diapered. By this time Emery was getting a little cold and fussy.  Audrey grabbed Emery's binky and gave it to her and started saying, "It's OK Emery, Audrey's here" over and over.  I got the diaper on and then Audrey helped me put lotion on Emery.  Finally, by the time I had Emery all dressed and booties on, she was no longer upset.  She was fixated on Audrey who had continued to chime "It's OK Emery, Audrey's here" the whole time. It was so sweet! Emery was smiling at her and trying to talk back to her. I wished I had a camera.  

I had to run down here and make a post so that I don't forget that first little moment where I could see them start to interact together.  This is surely going to be the best part about having more than one child, watching them become best friends.  It will be one of the most important relationships in both their lives - I can't wait for them to cherish it the way I do with my sister!

No comments: