Today we decided that we've been overlooking one of the most famous outdoor destinations in Georgia for far too long. That's right folks, we decided it was time that we climb Stone Mountain.When Don first moved here he and Chris hiked it together, but I hadn't been to the big rock until today. Stone Mountain is the world's largest piece of exposed granite and towers high above the skyline east of the city. The park has miles of scenic hiking trails, a lake and marina with paddle boats and a ferry, a scenic railroad, a sky tram, an antebellum plantation and museum, and so much more. Perhaps the most famous feature is its Confederate Memorial carving - sort of a mini Mount Rushmore of the South I guess. Every night in the summer there is a gigantic laser / fireworks show over the carved face of the Mountain that is sort of a right of passage for all Georgians. I don't think you can call yourself one unless you've been.

We weren't brave enough to try that yet, but we did take on the 1.3 mile hike to the top of the mountain. It was tough, but the view was well worth it - and we got some good exercise. I hope you enjoy the pictures. If you'd like to come check it out for yourself, there's plenty we still haven't covered so we'd love to go again.

1 comment:
you social life is definitely more exciting than mine! The next time we are in Atlanta, can we all go?
Post a Comment