Some friends and I started a book club a few months back and we've really enjoyed it so far. We generally get together once a month or so and have now gravitated towards picking our books a few months out so that we can get them from friends or the library. As a result, we've made more than a few trips to the local library lately. I was surprised to see that they rent DVDs now at the library. My how times have changed!
Anyway, my sister recently started a book club of her own with two of her girlfriends and we were talking about how we get our ideas of what we'll read. Our club has tried to check the box on several themes: a southern author, a book about travel, biography, a Pulitzer winner, etc. The problem is, we've read a few now that have been duds... so inevitably we end up picking a book one of us has read and can "vouch for." This is our first month trying this strategy, and so far I'm liking the book much better (Rebecca by Daphnie duMaurier).
So, for those of you looking for books that can be vouched for, I thought I'd post my own favorites for you all. If anyone has any good recommendations for us, please post a comment and let me know. I'll take your suggestions to our next meeting. Happy Reading!
Saints at the River, Ron Rash
Marley & Me, John Grogan
Year of Wonders, Geraldine Brooks (which I liked much better than March)
The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger
Snow Falling on Cedars, David Guterson
The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde
Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen (I'd actually recommend anything by Jane Austen)
The Road, Cormac McCarthy (Don read this one actually, and he liked it a lot)
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I used to have a book club and LOVED it... just a few suggestions:
"Million Little Pieces" and "My Friend Leonard" by James Frey - there is a lot of love/hate feelings with this book, but it is wonderful for group discussion
"My Sister's Keeper" or "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Picoult
Honestly, I have tons more and will bring you lots next time I see you - feel free to pass along, I don't need them back!
Also, Don recommended "The Road" to me a while ago (not that I have had time to read it), but recently another friend also recommended it, so it must be pretty good.
A new neighborhood friend and I are thinking of starting a book club in the area, so I will let you know if we read anything good!
Post a Comment